Lenk Property Gift (2007):
The Belmont Gardens property is owned and managed by the Belmont Land Trust. It was a gift by the Lenk family to the The Belmont Land Trust in 2005. The wooded lot consists of approximately .4 acres of land along Hoitt Road in the Winn Brook neighborhood. The open land was once part of an eight acre greenhouse complex known as Belmont Gardens. Established in 1921 by the Lenk family, Belmont Gardens became nationally recognized for its Belmont Gardenia. The Belmont Gardenia was one of the first flowers to receive a patent by the US Patent Office, in 1934. During the Belmont Gardens growing season 8,000 gardenia were typically shipped per day. In 1950, a record shipment of 14,000 gardenia was made in one single day. The Lenk family operated Belmont Gardens over a 34 year period and by 1954 it represented one of the few remaining large agricultural businesses in Belmont.
Clearing work under BLT supervision on the Belmont Gardens property in the spring of 2009.
Today, the former Belmont Gardens has been fully developed into residences except for this last parcel at 17 Hoitt Road maintained by the Belmont Land Trust as a memorial to the Lenk family’s interest in open space preservation and a historical reminder of Belmont’s farming past. The removal of invasive plant species has been completed and continues to be managed. The installation of native plantings is being planned for the property to enhance its natural setting and habitat value.
A sign honoring the history of Belmont Gardens was installed at the property in 2010 by the Belmont Land Trust.